Joey and Sandra
This user hasn't shared any biographical information
Posts by Joey and Sandra
The big launch is finally here!!!!!
You know, starting a business is so exciting and so stressful. I think that’s why I literally lost 10 pounds; the anticipation is killing me.
I think we can best describe starting a business like getting pregnant. You conceive the idea of what you want to do, than there is several months of carrying the idea and preparing for the launch, and when your due date finally arrives, you can’t wait to show the world your pride and joy.
We always joke around that our businesses are our children. We nurture them, we invest in them and we watch them grow. Having your own business is not a 9-5 thing; its more like a seven day a week, 20 hours a day job. And while this may not be everyone’s cup of tea, it certainly is right up our ally.
The good tends to out weigh the bad. But sometimes the bad will drive you so crazy that you polish off a bottle of Malibu while hiding under your desk, hoping that your partner doesn’t walk in because you know your going to get made fun of. Or when you throw your phone across the room because your day just got that much worse. And that is when you realize how important a spouse can be. Especially when your spouse is your business partner.
I think its safe to say that I think Boutique Noir is going to be something special. You have to understand, when you dreamt of something for so long, and finally, the day has come when your ideas are no longer just on paper, but dimensional, than that’s major.
This is my passion, and when you’re passionate about what you do, than your business will be successful. A great role model for this is my husband. While so many ignorant people think that manual work is “blue-collar” and demeaning, I think it’s sexy and above all, I think its really about the artistry when it comes down to it. Not everyone can create a pattern design on a floor or revive old wood to make it look new. And that’s why Joey is so good at what he does; he is passionate! Furthermore that’s why his customers respect him and made him the success he is; Joey is every bit the expert in this field.
I remember my high school English teacher quoted a German Philosopher to me, when he read a paper I wrote about what I wanted to do in life. The quote was from Friedrich Nietzsche, and he said, “You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star”. At that time, if I were asked what I thought this meant, I would have said, “I have no clue and don’t care”. But as an adult, I would now say “You must have passion if you want to be successful”.
I never condone those who have dreams. Dreams are good. We should all have goals to work towards. Whether your goal is about careers, fitness or life in general, we should all generally approach it with passion. The only time I feel a dream isn’t going to happen is when that person expects it to fall on their laps and doesn’t want to work at it. Lets face it people; you have to work hard to get results. Those who are fortunate to have things handed to them, well, good for them. We go down the paths we are given for reasons. Sure, we get sidetracked, but in the end, everyone has a plan. My plan is different from your plan. As hard or shitty as it is sometimes, I don’t think I would want to have the plan of someone else. I’ll be honest with you, I’m really curious to see what the big guy has planned for me. I’m comfortable with saying, I think the path I’ve chosen is pretty damn good one.
Please join us on Friday, 2-17-12 for the launch of Boutique Noir! Currently, we are carrying Women’s apparel and accessories, plus you can subscribe to our Fashion Blog and Videos! And coming soon, the male counterpart of Boutique Noir will arrive! That’s right, you can expect Men’s apparel and accessories, plus women’s lingerie and swimwear, and so much more!
Sandra is sharing her fashion insight and blogging for the Patch! Check out her most recent articles!
And the best part is she previews her collection for Boutique Noir in 2 of the articles!
Need styling advice? Or just want to talk shopping, clothes, or what to wear to a big event? Contact her through the Patch, and your questions just might get answered!
Her first post is dedicated to bridal gowns.
From Ugly Holiday Sweaters to Shiny Disco Ball Dresses, here is a brief guide for all you ladies who wish to be chic and not tacky for your holiday parties. Sneak Preview of Boutique Noir Collection included!
What to wear and where to get it will make sure you not only look fabulous at the gym, but will keep your body from getting injured or overheating.
Before you shop for Spring/Summer 2012, learn about the new trendy colors for the season and how to wear it! Sneak Preview of the Boutique Noir Collection included!
Don’t forget to bookmark www.ShopBoutiqueNoir.com, which will be launching soon! In the meantime, enjoy a little tease below!
I wanted to announce the big news, since we have been working on it for a number of months now. I am extremely excited about it, and couldn’t be more thrilled to share it with you.
Joey’s company, Avista, has become a very successful venture and continues to grow rapidly, even while we are in this economic hole. I couldn’t be more grateful for that, considering it’s our bread and butter. Avista is doing so well, in fact, that we decided that it was time to move on into the next faze of our lives.
With that said, I am pleased to announce the launch of a fantastic opportunity that will be both interesting and obsessive for you as it will be for me.
Ladies, brace your selves!
I am proud to announce the launch of Boutique Noir in November 2011! www.ShopBoutiqueNoir.com is an interactive website dedicated to the Femme Fatale in the Average Girl. Yes, Joey and I are launching an online boutique!
This has been a long time coming, and my enthusiasm has been through the roof. I can’t shut up about it! Nothing like this has ever made me feel more accomplished. I have never worked harder than I did with getting this business running! And I think it’s pretty fabulous!
For the record, Boutique Noir is also in the process of becoming a storefront, but be patient. We are taking baby steps in the process. As you will probably notice, we take this very seriously, and this isn’t a fly-by-night company. So instead of starting out in a “Brick and Mortar” (store front) Joey and I decided to start the business online, so this way we can share our creation with the world. I would say over the next year or two, you can expect news about the store and location.
Boutique Noir will bring you monthly, vivid, representations of Fashion’s greatest icons, with the help of our creative director and fashion team extraordinaires! It’s important to be inspired daily, and while you may be oblivious to it; you are inspired by how you dress everyday. I, for one, take a great deal of inspiration from the 1940’s and 50’s. Some may take inspirations from film or musicians while others from art. Regardless, what you wear is inspired and will inspire others! So why not dress to be your own icon?
After a year of research, I was able to collect numerous brands that knew a woman’s body, and above all, that would feed your appetite for fashionable clothing and accessories.
We call our e-commerce site interactive, simply because we want you to use our website as a tool, and you will. You’ll have the opportunity to share your thoughts, post pictures, and you’ll also be treated to lots of visual inspiration through our editorials and blogs.
You probably have things in your closet that could be updated easily by adding one the season’s top trends to it. And that’s why you’ll have the chance to ask my team and I personally what to wear with it.
My favorite part is that I want young designers to email me! I want you to know I am open to new talent, and we want you! If you have a label and want to get the exposure you deserve, contact Joey and myself at email@example.com
We’ll be offering some other amazing things for our customers, but I want you to explore the site yourself. So make sure you bookmark the page, “like” us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/boutiquenoir) and find us on twitter (@Boutiquenoir).
Boutique Noir has been my vision for years. And now, its real!
Get ready for the launch of www.ShopBoutiqueNoir.com in November 2011!
Question of the day: What makes a woman brave?
Personally, I feel bravery is overcoming a boundary, and although at times challenging, I feel that once a woman is inclined to be brave, she empowers it. Fifteen years ago, I was probably the last person to be talking about bravery. I had a lot to overcome, and more so than anything, I had a lot to accept. Like how I will never be a twig, and that God just so happened to graced me these curves or that my body is my temple that I will have to eventually learn how to love and respect it.
Regardless, I spent a lot of my life in this destructive nature. I would beat myself up over my imperfections; let bullies have the upper hand, and worse off, let my soul go unattended. For fifteen years of my life, you would never guess that I struggled with self-acceptance.
Than one day in June, right before my first anniversary, I went for a run, like I normally do. When I run, I tend to let my thoughts go and I work out situations in my mind. Exercising is my stress relief. So I guess my mind drifted to my issues with my body. And that’s when I had my epiphany. Why the hell am I still in this ridiculous rut? My husband loves me, my family loves me and I should love me. And they all think I’m beautiful, except I don’t feel the same way. Why am I hurting myself by being my worst enemy?
Fast forward to July. While on my little self-journey, I decided that I needed to embrace me and do something daring. Something I would never have imagined doing. Something that would force me to feel confident, sexy and beautiful; I decided that I would have a photo session with Jenerations Photography.
Any Long Island girl will tell you Jennifer from Jenerations is probably the best boudoir photographer in New York. I know some girls who swear by her for being very professional and for bringing out a girls true beauty. So I got on the computer, and composed an email to Jennifer. I told her my thoughts, my inspirations and what I was looking to do. And before I knew it, I was booked for my photo shoot.
Now lets get one thing very straight. Joey was nervous about this, hence, I am his wife, and he didn’t want to share his wife with anyone. I can’t say I blame him. I mean I wouldn’t want to share pictures of my husband with other women. But after careful planning, I was able to create a couple of outfits that were classy, and above all, a little more modest than what he probably was thinking (it was nice to get back into styling by the way, but that’s another story).
I recruited my sister also for this shoot. I knew I needed her there for the simple reason that I wouldn’t trust anyone else’s opinion on things more than hers. Her honesty is similar to that of Joey’s and if something doesn’t fly with her, it certainly won’t fly with him. Plus, it added to the comfort level. Joey felt better knowing that my sister was going with me. And that meant for a stress free photo session.
I researched my inspirations for weeks. I didn’t want it to be too flashy and I didn’t want it to be too boring. Than it hit me. Do what I know. I decided to pay tribute to Film Noir, which involved lots of lighting, lots of black and white and lots of sensuality. I adore this particular style of film, and after studying the fashions and the women from this genre; I really felt that it was different and alluring.
For those of you not familiar with Film Noir, allow me to further (yet briefly) explain what the style translates. Film Noir originates back to the early 1940’s and 1950’s. Crime dramas of this era were typically filmed in a gritty, black and white style. Noir is the French term for Black or Dark. The films were full of attitude and above all, the motives for the crimes were transcended by sexual motivation. The best part about this particular style is how the low-key lighting played into the drama, adding to its provocative nature. Surely, it was scandalous yet intriguing to the audiences of the 1940’s and 50’s.
Combine this visualization with the shadowed lighting and innuendo of femme fatale, and “Tada!” Film Noir is born. Its moody, it’s sexy and it makes a statement. And that’s why I love it. Today, Film Noir has been the inspiration for some familiar movies; Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct, any movie by Quentin Tarantino (Pulp Fiction) and the more obvious films like “Sin City”, “The Crow” and “The Spirit”. If you want to learn more, watch those and of course, check out the classics like “Sunset Boulevard”.
I think I may have bored you enough, allow me to continue…
I called my dearest friend and make-up artist Sandra Baldini and asked her if she would be interested in doing my makeup. It was time to channel my idol Sophia Loren, and I knew Sandra Baldini would nail it. She did my make up for my wedding and I loved how she creates this fantastic cat eye. She does fabulous work, and I knew that she would be the perfect person to start my day with.
With that said, Sandra created a Sophia Loren inspired eye for me that rocked my world. If I could have Sandra do my makeup everyday for me, than I would.
I arrived at Jenerations on time, and for the record, Jennifer is probably the nicest girl in the world, as well as her staff. I filled out some paperwork, and than we were off to go through my seriously huge garment bag of outfits.
We selected two outfits that were sexy yet left some imagination. Again, I wanted to keep it classy and not be overtly sexy. As I changed in the bathroom, I literally told myself that I deserve to be happy in my own body and I don’t have to feel bad about myself anymore. And I think that’s when the little flame in my heart became a raging fire and this newer version of Sandra came to life. And I welcomed it.
Fifteen years ago I would have said I hated my butt, my stomach, my arms, etc. Fifteen years ago, I would never have stepped foot in front of a camera, and feel confident. Today, for the record, I broke the cycle. I realized my ass is AMAZING (as I write this, I am taking a bow. Yes, butt, you are perfect. Squats and lunges do a body good…) I realized that I am significantly toned and that my hard work at the gym has paid off. And I finally saw what my husband and family saw all along. I saw a beautiful me.
I didn’t want to cry and ruin my makeup when they showed me the first few pictures after the shoot was done. I loved my makeup and I wanted to wear it to dinner later (lol). But there I was, and I was so unbelievably happy. It felt euphoric!
I decided that I wanted to take 10 of the pictures and make a book for Joey, as a way of saying “thank you for always telling me I’m your beautiful wife”, and my sister, Jen’s assistant and myself selected 10 images for Joey’s book. But don’t think you will ever see that book. It’s “For Joey’s Eyes Only”. And he won’t share because he doesn’t care
In the end, I walked out of this shoot feeling like I was refreshed and alive. The weight has been taken off my shoulders. You know something; I look at some of these young girls today, and they are struggling with the same demons that I have struggled with for a majority of my life.
For example, look at Demi Lovato. She is a beautiful girl. Yet, because she was trapped in a bad rut, she let the world dictate how she felt about herself. It took her family and friends to encourage her get the help she needed, and in the end, she overcame the demon that consumed her life. I thought she was very brave, not only to tell the world how she felt, but also she conquered the obstacle that held her back.
So to all of you who feel that you aren’t good enough, I want you to know that it does get better. Be brave, and conquer all those obstacles, both physically and mentally. And know you are beautiful too, even it takes a rockin’ picture of yourself to prove it!
Much thanks to Jenerations Photography for helping me see ME. Words can’t express enough how I feel. Visit them at http://www.jenerations.com for more information about boudoir and how you can be transformed into a sexier version of yourself!
Also, a big “Thank You” to Sandra Baldini for creating my inspired “Sophia Loren” look. Girrrrrlllllllll, you nailed it lol. http://www.sbmakeup.com
And above all, thank you Joey for reminding me how beautiful I am every day. I know it’s been a struggle, but your continuous encouragement has helped me in my darkest days. I love you Oh and Joey? Enjoy the pictures you filthy beast.
war·ri·or (wôr-r, wr-)
1. One who is engaged in or experienced in battle.
2. One who is engaged aggressively or energetically in an activity, cause, or conflict
Some great warriors of our history include the likes of Alexander The Great, Napoleon, Julius Caesar, and Joan of Ark, those who fought and still fight the war in Afghanistan, Conan the Barbarian, He-Man and She-ra! Idols and heroes, they pushed past their limits and accomplished things mere wimps could only dare to dream of. They are brave and gutsy, and they inspire generations to go beyond their bounds and perform tasks that the average person would shy from. And they look dead sexy doing it too.
So I guess that’s why so many “warriors” flocked to Windham Mountain, New York for what was (and always will be) considered the best form of proving you are seriously kick ass. They participated in Warrior Dash. And it’s insane to watch, let alone be apart of. As the fleet of my Long Island Warriors touched down on their battlefield, it would soon be known who was friggin’ out of their minds and who should never have drank all that beer the night before…
Joey along with seven other aspiring Warriors (which included my girl Jacquie!) set out to conquer the 3.2-mile run, complete with obstacles and yes, beer. Barricades, Barb Wire, wrecked cars to climb, climbing walls, lots of mud and a wall of fire. Need I say more?
This is a serious event. You either go big or go the hell home. And there is no room for those who have no ambition either. You need to bring it, and hell, if there are people out there enduring war everyday for your freedom, than you better complete the course and show some damn appreciation.
Not to mention, there is a beer for you at the end of the race. Probably one of the best beers you will ever drink! Because damn it, you earned it.
I must say, I am EXTREMELY proud of all of them, but I am especially proud of my girl Jacquie. She was the only girl from our Long Island Warriors who did the race. And she is AWESOME (come on, did you think I would actually do this? I am not a warrior. I am a “damsel in distress”. Besides, mud is gross and my hair is way flammable and it didn’t seem like it would be a smart thing for me to do. Besides, I got my tan on watching my super hot husband break his ass!)
AND I must congratulate the king warrior himself Anthony C, who beat not only Joey but the whole group of them with almost a 10 minute time difference. Don’t ever doubt the underdog people. Anthony, with hair like that, you knew you were going to blow them away. Your long mane proved them all wrong.
Check out the exclusive video below and pictures (check out Joey’s outfit! G.I. Joe!)from the dash. And for more information about Warrior Dash, go to http://www.facebook.com/WarriorDash or http://www.WarriorDash.com
Hope to see you all next year. By the way, I now can say I have a super hot Warrior Husband. I always wanted to say that!
We’re back!!!! What an amazing year it’s been! We couldn’t be happier with our lives right now. There were those who doubted our relationship, and honestly, to all those people who said that we would be divorced in 6 months, we would like to inform you that that our marriage is stronger than ever. We seem to be doing something right and while there are still people who still think what they want, we don’t give a shit. There will always be people who have an opinion, but hey, that’s what happens when you were on a reality TV show.
Oh well, C’est la vie!
As promised, we proudly bring you a new installment of “Joey and Sandra’s Guide to Where to Go and What to do in…” You know, we didn’t realize how big the response was going to be for our little guide. The flattery is very welcoming. Its not like we are necessarily experts on travel, but we know what we like, and usually, it seems to be a crowd pleaser.
Hope you like this entry, because St. Lucia was a blast!
What an amazing and beautiful way to celebrate our very first Anniversary. Honestly, St. Lucia didn’t disappoint! The island is legendary. If you are looking for a vacation that provides that true “Caribbean” vibe, than you need to go to St. Lucia. For those couples who seek some extra R & R, than you should know that the best part about the island is that it screams Romance!
St. Lucia is part of the West Indies, and the languages spoken are Creole and English, so don’t worry about not being able to socialize. And in case you are curious, they drive on the left side of the road, just like the British do. Talk about blowing the minds of a couple of New Yorkers. Also, you should know that there are two sides to St. Lucia. You can either stay on the Caribbean side, where the water is much calmer than the Atlantic Side. Lets just say the Atlantic side is Joey (fierce), and the Caribbean side is Sandra (laid back). Wherever you stay, however, the energy of the island translates all over.
Vieux Fort, St. Lucia
Hotel- Coconut Bay Resort and Spa http://www.coconutbayresortandspa.com/
Joey and Sandra’s Guide to Where to Go and What to Do in St. Lucia
1) On a private boat tour of the island, we witnessed first hand the extreme difference between the Atlantic and Caribbean sides of St. Lucia. Tip: You really need to take a private boat tour of the island. Here’s why; the coastline is insanely breath taking. It reminded us of the Na Pali Coast in Kauai. Imagine a coastline that is lush with rainforests, mango, coconut, breadfruit trees and cactus. (Yes, Cactus.), with the added bonus of sporadic beach towns that seem to pop up along the coast. What made it even better was Captain Ricky, and how we got to experience a rainstorm in the middle of the ocean. Joey- this was my favorite part of this trip. Check out the video! St. Lucia Rain Storm Its calm one minute and than suddenly, BAM! We are in the middle of an intense rainstorm. And I loved every second. I’m proud of my wife by the way. She didn’t scream, puke or cry once. Than again, she was probably praying that we wouldn’t die. Typical Sandra…
2) Number 2 is for those thrill seekers out there who want to enjoy a new sport. Joey- If you are like me and are looking for serious thrills, than you need to try Kite Surfing. http://www.2elements.co.uk/ Now you maybe asking yourself what the hell Kite Surfing is. Well, imagine wind surfing, but your holding onto a kite. Talk about a serious workout, (Your working all your muscles, all at once.) The Atlantic Side of St. Lucia is windy, so kite surfing is generally popular over on this side of the island. You need to learn how to kite surf before you can even think about doing it however. It’s a dangerous sport, and proper training is a MUST. Sandra and I had the chance to speak to Chris, the owner of 2Elements, about Kite Surfing. He says you need about 10 hours of lessons to even be let out into the water. It’s that intense! Your using both Air and Water to control your board and yourself. Tip: Get your Kite Surfing Certification before going to St. Lucia. Good news though for my fellow New Yorkers! Kite Surfing is NOW available on Long Island! I’m probably going to have to find a class and learn how to do it. I’m really pumped about this sport! Its sick to watch and probably even better to do!
3) We have a full on understanding that Rum is the choice drink of the Caribbean (Sandra’s Tip- avoid a drink called “Bob Marley”. You will be rendered unconscious). However, make it a point to enjoy this country’s specialty, and which is Piton Beer with squeezed lime. Named after the Gros Piton and Petit Piton (formed by volcanic eruptions, which if you have the opportunity, consider visiting this site), this beer is similar in taste to Corona, but better. Which, plain and simply put, it’s friggin’ delicious.
4) If you love Volcano’s, than you should make it a point to visit Mount Soufriere. They say you smell it before you see it. Our boat captain described the smell as “rotten eggs…” You can bathe in the mud; supposedly it has amazing healing properties. Speaking of visiting Mother Nature’s exotic places, check out Diamond Falls, which has a variety of different waterfalls (There’s a waterfall for everyone! One is hot, one is freezing, and one is just right lol).
5) So, there is a lot of talk that St. Lucia is becoming the next big “It” place to visit for honeymooning. We whole heartily AGREE. As we mentioned, we went here for our first anniversary. As mentioned, it is Romantic in every sense of the word. On our actually night of our Anniversary, we had a romantic dinner in Gazebo that sat on a bluff with the ocean at its peak. (Sandra- this, by the way, was all Joey! How sweet is he! He certainly has a thing for Gazebos, Mr. Adventure can be Mr. Romance if he wants) and if that wasn’t romantic enough, Coconut Bay offers Oceanside Couple Massages. (Sandra- The sound of the ocean was by far the most relaxing sound to hear when you are trying to relax. It’s very organic and literally puts you in the zone.) Tip: St. Lucia loves couples, so take advantage of their couples activities! Honeymoon ATV-ing, Private Boat Tours, Private Dinners, and so much more…
6) Did you know that coconut is probably one of the most resourceful fruits in the Caribbean? Our good friend, Captain Ricky, broke down the properties of the coconut, and how they use it to cure everything from skin rashes to hangovers. The oils and water from the coconut are considered medicinal. Drink coconut water when you have a hangover and your ailments will be cured, cook your food in Coconut oil and enhance the flavors and save your cholesterol. How about just slather yourself in coconut and not only get a great tan, but cure eczema and get rid of severe dry skin. Tip: Make your own coconut oil (thanks Captain Ricky for this tip). Grate the inside of a coconut as if you were grating cheese. Squeeze the shavings to retrieve the access water and oil. Than boil the shavings in water for an hour or so. Skim the oil from the top, tada… coconut oil. As for the shavings? Eat it! The sugar caramelizes the shavings, therefore making it super tasty.
7) St. Lucian’s LOVE country music as much as they love Reggae. In fact, they love country music so much that when they sing it they sound like country stars. We aren’t big into the Country Music scene, but we could appreciate their attempts to sing Rascal Flats and Brad Paisley. Which is good news for all you country folk!
We can genuinely say that Creole food (which is the food of St. Lucia) is friggin’ DELICIOUS! Tip: Creole is flavorful, and spicy. Sometimes really spicy. Definitely not for the faint of heart. Or those with ulcers. Expect fresh fish everyday, especially Red Snapper, Conch and King Fish, and you should really try Breadfruit. Breadfruit, a staple in the St. Lucian diet, has a texture similar to bread (hence its name), and is often cooked with other ingredients to help soften the consistency and give it flavor. Some other foods common in the St. Lucian diet include Mango, Coconut, Fish, and spices like turmeric. Regardless, it’s all very good and very appetizing. Tip: Bring home some Baron’s Hot Pepper Sauce. (Or order it http://www.baronfoods.com/list.asp?cat_ID=5) Its an electric yellow color with red flakes make the sauce look hot… and for the record, that sauce is friggin’ HOT.
9) So, Long Islanders, thought we were known for our lighthouses? Well, we just got beat for the title. St. Lucia is home to the world’s second tallest Light House. It’s light can be seen for miles, and it’s so bright that illuminates the sky.
10) We feel obliged to share with you a tip that may affect your trip to St. Lucia, or any island for that matter. We traveled to St. Lucia in their off season. Their off season is May through October, or best known as Hurricane Season. Thanks to Global Warming, it is a big deal. We encountered a tropical storm for the duration of our trip, and while it was only for a 2 and ½ days, it was a bit of a downer. November to February is their prime tourist season. Tip: Research where you are going. If you prefer peace and quiet (like we were looking for, minus the storm) than go in the off-season to a destination. But if you are looking for a party, than the prime tourist season is the way to go.
We had the chance to meet some seriously awesome people, especially the wonderful staff at the Coconut Bay Resort and Spa. They always were smiling, and they really enjoy doing their job. Small J, Mac Lee, Vino, Vishal, Robert, Ed, EVERYONE, really go above and beyond to make your trip memorable.
Joey and Sandra’s Top 5 Things To Eat and Drink In St. Lucia
1) Coconut (Oil, Water, Cocktails…a Caribbean Staple…)
2) Bread Fruit
3) Piton Beer
4) Anything Creole
5) Barons Blazing Hot Pepper Sauce
Ok, well that does it for this trip. We hope we have convinced you enough to consider visiting this amazing country. It was definitely a much needed trip, and it was nice to just the 2 of us for our anniversary. Leaving all the chaos of work and life in general just to focus on “us” was nice and refreshing. We have the most fun when we travel.
Now we are off to train for a Warrior Dash, and we may plan another impromptu trip, some place in driving distance. Summer 2011 is looking pretty good so far; hope you’re enjoying it!
It feels like we JUST got married. We just can’t believe we survived one whole year! When you think about it, its very surreal. Time has definitely flown by, and while there were times that were bad, there were times that were really good. A lot can happen in a year; and it makes the year zoom by before you can blink!
So, apparently, there are certain “gifts” that are suppose to be given to each other on anniversaries. While we tend to shy from tradition, we thought it would be rather amusing to see what “tradition” says. For the record, Tradition doesn’t make sense!
Allow us to explain:
They say you should give Paper for the 1st anniversary. So, does paper mean MONEY? Because money is always good! We purchased airline tickets for each other, does that count? Or is it literal, like stationary (Sandra- does anyone actually use Stationary anymore? Maybe teachers do, but I normally just email or text message or send a hallmark card…)?
Modern one-year anniversary gifts include Clocks. Now why the hell would we want to give each other a clock? It would be an insult, almost to say that one of us is always late (Joey- Cough, Cough Sandra that means you. You are never ready on time! Two hours to get ready for anything!) Perhaps a watch… than that would be something we would understand (Joey- I would like a Movado please.) But give each other a clock? Who comes up with this shit?
Apparently, Henry Van Dyke did. He wrote “For those who love, time is eternity.” Now that’s sweet! That would be something to inscribe on the back of a WATCH. Not a clock.
What about Jewelry? Well, Gold Jewelry is traditional, as well as Pearls and Peridot.
Sandra- What, no diamonds?! Ok, being that I am all about things big and shiny, I would like to openly discuss this.
I think that Peridot is actually kind of pretty depending on the shade. Most of time the stones are emerald-ish hue, but not to be confused with an Emerald. Think more of an olive green color. Regardless, it’s still really stunning.
As for pearls, one name comes to my mind: Mikimoto. I just love the way that name slides off my tongue; “Mikimoto! Mikimoto!” If I were to do pearls, I would probably prefer colored pearls, like Black or I would do Pearls and gemstones together.
As for gold, being that Gold is so valuable right now, it would be an investment that’s for sure. However, I really prefer white gold (and platinum over white gold) to yellow gold. Plus, not to mention, there has been a new Rose Gold trend in the gold industry.
So, I got an idea; what if you combined Peridot and Pearl together to make a pendant or ring in a white gold setting! There, now that’s a nice one-year anniversary gift lol. Well, if this isn’t a hint for a special piece of jewelry, I don’t know what is. And Joey is going to read this and laugh. Whatever, I can dream.
Oh, and did you know that there are anniversary colors? Neither did we! Gold and yellow are the traditional anniversary colors. (Joey- all I can think about is that Austin Powers Movie, the 3rd one, where the Gold Member character kept saying, “I love GOLD.” I’ll just paint myself Gold and give myself to Sandra. That solves everything!)
And finally, if you want to give flowers on your 1st anniversary, they suggest Orange Blossom or Pansy. Pansy comes from the French world pensée, which means thought or remembrance. An Orange Blossom is symbolic of marriage, eternal love and fertility.
Announcement: Do not give us Orange Blossom. We are not ready for children yet. Thank you. We have some traveling to do first. Vegas? Yes please. Ibiza? Sure, why not!?
So some of things we are suppose to do on our 1st anniversary include eating the top layer from our wedding cake. We saved the top layer, and we plan on attempting to eat a fork full of it. And thats it. It probably has freezer burn and to be honest with you, we fear the after affects of eating something a year old that contains dairy. Whoever came up with that obviously was looking for an excuse to get sick. (Joey- Babe, there’s the traditional color yellow! From the freezer burnt butter cream icing! HAHAHAHAHA!)
We may just take the suggestion of some very awesome friends of ours and watch our wedding video. Whenever we watch it, we always have a good laugh, especially towards the end when our guests are beyond their sober points. Yes, you know whom you are and you were VERY lucky they cut that out of the show. You must have a suburb Guardian Angel. Regardless, piss us off and the whole world will see the “Pulp Fiction” dance. Insert evil laugh here: “Mwah ha ha ha!”
Well, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO US! Thank you to all of our fans and readers for reading our blogs and watching the show. We hope you have enjoyed our antics, and we will have plenty more where that came from. Now if you will excuse us, we have some celebrating to do in St.Lucia!
Check back in a 3 weeks for a BRAND NEW “Joey and Sandra’s Guide to Where to Go and What to Do in…” It’s going to be a good one!
Check out what we recently discovered and why we definitely think they will become your obsession as well…
1) Joey- I am obsessed with my Vibram 5 Toe Sneakers. They may not be the nicest-looking things in the world to look at, but they should be the official sneaker of Warrior Dash. These sneakers look like Toe Gloves. I actually discovered them in Hawaii last year, and currently purchased a pair for the dash. What’s great about them is that they can be worn pretty much on any terrain-concrete, sand, water, grass, and gravel (although they may not be the most comfortable gravel). Your foot is naturally made to run barefoot, so these mimic the feeling. Warrior Dash involves multiple terrain scenarios, so these sneakers should definitely help with my performance. Check them out at www.facebook.com/VibramFiveFinger
2) Sandra-While shopping at a Lacrosse store (Joey use to play lacrosse and still is obsessed with the shorts), we stumbled upon these really amazing bracelets called Power Balance Bands. Believe the hype; they work. I run everyday, and I was able to maintain my speed above my usually time average, and I was even able to increase my flexibility during my routine Yoga session. This holistic product is used by athletics to help them improve their performance and stability. While it has definitely improved my workout, we noticed a change in several of our loved ones as well. We bought one for Joey’s mother, who has had several surgeries for her knees and hips, and we noticed an improvement in how she walks. And how she is in less pain. While this could be psychosomatic, it’s great to see how much better she feels with it on. Joey will be wearing his band with his Vibrams for the dash, and you can trust me, I will be wearing mine whenever I train from now on. www.facebook.com/powerbalance
3) Sandra-I am truly obsessed with my Reebok Run Tone sneakers by the way. I didn’t believe any of that crap how wearing sneakers can tone your ass up, but what I do believe is that they do make my knees feel better when I hit pavement. There is less impact and that makes my knees feel fantastic (I have horrible knees). And they don’t look like orthopedic sneakers either. I still feel strongly that if you want to get toned, than do squats and lunges.
4) Joey-We invested in a new camera for our vacation (Thanks Vickie and Jacquie for the recommendation…) The Olympus Tough TG 810 is so friggin’ cool! You can drop it and it won’t break. You can drown it, and it won’t fill with water. You can freeze it, and it won’t get frozen. You can put it in extreme hit, and it won’t melt. Simply meaning it’s Sandra Proof lol! It also has GPS, so when we hook it up to the Mac, the camera knows where we were for easier uploading. The commercial for it is pretty funny, however, the real test will be when we use it next week. This thing is going to take a beating. And probably keep on working… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxVP2Suy9Ko&feature=related
5) TV has pretty much stunk as of lately. No Entourage, No Broadwalk Empire, all the other shows we were watching had season finales, and no more My Big Friggin’ Wedding (that’s bitter sweet). So in a desperate attempt to find entertainment, we discovered Franklin and Bash. And we LOVE IT! Number one, hellooooooo! Its ZACH MORRIS people. He was every guys idol when were kids, and every girls crush. Breckin Meyer and Mark-Paul Gosselaar are probably the best duo on TV right now since Two & Half Men (Damn you Charlie Sheen! Come Back!). We have a tendency to watch a show’s premier and than lose interest because most the time, new shows suck. But this show is genuinely funny. Malcolm McDowell is also probably everyone’s dream boss. If we all had bosses like that we probably wouldn’t hate having to go to work as much. Although, not going to lie, he is an incredible actor, considering he was the lead in A Clockwork Orange (Highly recommend that movie, although it still scares the shit out of Sandra…). Anyway, please watch this show, enjoy it and trust us, you will be heavily entertained with the comedic one-liners and jargon between Franklin and Bash.
Holy Shit. We are less than one month away from our 1st Anniversary! This year has certainly flown by.
This time last year, we were in complete wedding mode, going crazy over last minute details and what not. It was the start of our 30-day count down. And you all got to witness the sheer chaos.
Now we are in full out vacation mode! We have decided to get the hell out of NY for our anniversary, considering we want some damn peace and quiet, and need an excuse to bask in the sun.
So where are we going? After researching and talking to our travel agent, St.Lucia better get ready. Joey and Sandra are coming for a visit lol.
We are staying at a resort made famous by “The Bachelor”, and we cannot wait! We have every intention of making our first anniversary completely memorable. We may go zip lining (much to Sandra’s dismay) and we heard about this volcanic mud bath excursion. But we heard the locals are seriously fun and St.Lucia just sounds wonderful. We’ll definitely share our experience with you when we get back. Be on the look out for a NEW “Joey and Sandra’s Guide to what to do and where to go in…”
If you have ever been to St.Lucia, comment and share your experience. We have a ton of questions about the island and would love to hear from someone who’s been there.
Oh yeah, we hear that the show is airing in Australia! Well “hello” to all of you Australians out there. Hope you are enjoying the show. We posted blogs for each episode previously, just check out the archives. Sorry for any spoilers and what not. Glad to hear that you like it though. By the way, we are dying to come and visit Australia to check out your beaches. We heard the beaches are to die for.
Ok, so I got the new Lady Gaga Album last week, and I am OBSESSED with it. She literally brings me back to those crazy nights spent in NYC when I was younger and getting twisted. That girl has a serious talent.
I am a big Gaga fan. Joey took me for my birthday to see her (brave man) when her first Monster Ball was at Radio City Music Hall (that was last year) and the show was a unlike anything I ever been to. Joey got me so close to the stage, and we were right in the middle of the action. I never danced so much at a concert in my entire life. Plus, I got free champagne from the lead singer of Semi Precious Weapons because it was my birthday “Sticky with Champagne, its ok, it’s her birthday!” Damn right! Lol .
So she has literally consumed my workout play list, and thank God the album is incredible because it pushes me through my gym sessions. We are in serious crunch time with the whole working out thing. Like clockwork, for about 1-2 months before a vacation or event, Joey and I train hard and eat clean. AND IT SUCKS. I swear I am not eating a morsel of chicken when I am on that trip.
I really can’t believe its 11 months since the wedding! Since the wedding, we have had so many things happen, both good and bad, that I didn’t even realize the year was slipping by. In fact, last night, we were eating dinner (CHICKEN! UGH…) and we were talking about how it feels like we just got back from Hawaii.
I’m just excited to be traveling with my husband and experiencing a new place together. What better way to celebrate our very first year married than being on a beach? Its funny but when you think about it, the beach has played a major roll in our lives together. Joey proposed on a beach, we got married on a beach, we honeymooned on a beach (2 beaches if you want to be technical) and now we will celebrate one year on a beach. We live near a beach for Pete’s sake. The beach is a big part of our life. It’s Sanctuary.
Ok, so, for the record, I am not happy about the whole Zip Lining thing. If humans were meant to fly, we would have wings. Joey is “Mr. Adventure” and has to defy the laws of gravity whenever he can. Right before we got married, he came very close to going Skydiving, but I think the scheduling got messed up or something and he never got the chance. Mr. Joey Adventure has been race car driving (I’m taking credit for that one. I got it as a gift for him one year), climbed Mayan Temples and this summer he is competing in Warrior Dash, but when I get dragged into the “action” I kind of cringe a little.
Things we do for love I guess. All I know is, if I want to do something “Sandra-esqe”, he better just do it, after all I am zip lining. And he will. Because he’s a good husband lol.
Joey and I attended a slew of parties this month, and we were very fortunate to meet some very enthusiastic people who loved the show. We always get asked a ton of questions about it, but the one question that makes us laugh is: “Sandra, did you ever learn how to cook?!”
To answer, YES, I did learn how. It wasn’t easy, in fact, I feel bad for Joey considering he had to consume endless concoctions of failed attempts of turning something meant to be unhealthy into a meal that is healthy, but in the end, I have conquered the kitchen.
For starters, I have mastered the perfect steak (Round of applause please). I thank my mother in law for actually helping perfect it, and I have it down to a science. Grill steaks 7 minutes, each side. Joey is extremely grateful of this, and I feel better buying prime cuts now being that I have learnt how NOT to light them on fire.
My mother purchased me “the bible” or known to most as the “Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book”, in which has common recipes. She also bought me the entire cookbook series from Giada De Laurentiis and I have come to terms that she is my kitchen Guru. I have watched her shows, I read the books, and I literally owe that woman my life lol.
I also make some seriously healthy and delicious alternatives to really unhealthy recipes. Like I said before, this was no easy task.
I’ll take something bad for you, like loaded with cheese, fat, cholesterol, and I put alternatives in their place. I was a semi-vegetarian, so using products like Tofu, vegetable cheese, and non-meat products is something I am fairly use too. On the other hand, my husband cringes at the thought of tofu, and refuses to eat it unless it’s in miso soup. So trying to make meals suitable enough to be considered good yet healthy was friggin’ task unto itself.
There has been my fair share of failed attempts. Perhaps the worse was my attempt to make buckwheat pancakes oppose to whole wheat. I thought its nutritional value was a little better than whole wheat. I made the presentation perfect, right down to a berry sauce drizzled on top. It didn’t matter. Because it was absolutely the worse pancakes we ever had. So buckwheat was a fail.
I have, however, created some meals that are so healthy, and yet so tasty, that Joey actually tells me that he is craving it. SCORE! I mean that is major in my book! And I feel really proud of myself. Now this doesn’t mean I’m going to open a restaurant or something, but I was determined to be a master of my kitchen.
I also love to bake, as some of our fans know. Apple pies, crumb cakes, pumpkin pies, cookies, pastries, you name it, I make it. And I make them UNHEALTHY! Loaded with Sugar, butter, chocolate, and all the insane yumminess that would send Jenny Craig right into the arms of Weight Watchers lol. Don’t get me wrong; I make sugar free/fat free goodies for those who cannot have unhealthy desserts. I am very considerate; in fact, I made a delicious Angel food cake the other day with strawberries. My Lord, it was, excuse the pun, Heavenly.
And, I just want to put this on record; I make the BEST crumb cake in the world. And I can say this because my nieces and nephews say so. No but its really good. And that is a recipe that I will die with.
So for our fans out there, Announcement: I may not be an expert, but this girl can cook. Maybe one day I’ll share my recipes, but I’m actually really shy about it. I’m still very modest with compliments, which is good, because I will never be cocky. And, for the record, Joey does participate in the kitchen as well. He makes excellent pizza, from scratch. Apparently, my kitchen Guru Giada is rubbing off on everyone.